閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-12 16:05  資料 短消息 
Interviews (English Sources)

http://www.china.org.cn/english/entertainment/235389.htm
(China Daily December 12, 2007)

Warlords brought down to earth

Hong Kong director Peter Chan cast Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro in The Warlords (Tou Ming Zhuang), but the three famous faces are covered in mud and ash. He hired production designer Yee Chung-man, creator of the magnificent costumes in Curse of the Golden Flower (Mancheng Jindai Huangjinjia), but the film's hues are gray. He teamed up with action choreographer Ching Siu-tung, famous for the dazzling kungfu scenes in House of Flying Daggers (Shimian Miaofu), but forbade him from using a single wire.

Set in southern China in the 1860s, the film opens with a bleak battlefield scene which sets the tone. The screen is filled with the bodies of soldiers impaled by spears, blood seeping out of their armor, and yellow dust in the air.

Pang Qingyun is an ambitious social climber played by Jet Li, who has two blood brothers Zhao Erhu (Andy Lau) and Jiang Wuyang (Kaneshiro). Theirs is a tale of betrayal and revenge. The stage is set against the backdrop of civil war, the Taiping Rebellion (1851-64), a large-scale revolt initiated by village teacher Hong Xiuquan, who formulated an ideology combining the ideals of pre-Confucian utopianism and Christian beliefs.

"This is a down-to-earth blockbuster," says Chan, who has won plaudits for his delicate love stories Perhaps Love (Ruguo Ai) and Comrades, Almost a Love Story (Tian Mimi). "Why should ancient China always be so lavish?"

Chan is not a fan of the early Chinese swordsman films because he thinks they are too far removed from real life. The Chinese costume epics of recent years, he believes, have developed from the swordsman genre.

"I wanted to shoot a different ancient China. The one we are used to seeing in films is special enough to arouse the curiosity of Western audiences, but what I'd like to show is neither exceedingly good nor bad. It has these aspects, just like any other nation, but it does not always have to be gorgeous."

Production designer Yee recalls that Chan asked him to "represent the war through actors". At one of the studios, the crew spent a month shoveling tons of earth on the streets, before pouring water on it to create a muddy set, on whihc the crew had to wear boots all the time. Chan even researched the Afghanistan civil war to get the feeling for what a real battlefield looked like.

Li has only several minutes near the end of the film to show off his kungfu skills, while Lau jokes that he has never been made to look so poor and ugly. Rising mainland actress Xu Jinglei, who plays the only female character, Zhao's wife and Pang's lover, looks like a coal miner when she shows up.

When promoting the film at this year's Cannes Film Festival, Chan showed international distributors a 35-minute trailer, in which Li and his soldiers besiege the city of Suzhou. International buyers were surprised to find that, for the first time in a Chinese period film, there were no martial arts.

"What I wanted to convey is that Chinese films can also win over audiences through drama, not only by kungfu scenes," Chan says.

The $40 million film, which will premiere in China today, will screen in 2,000 theaters in America next autumn. Jet Li, who has starred in several successful Hollywood productions, says the first aim is to win over the Asian market.

"This film is not the kind of Chinese blockbuster Western audiences are familiar with, so, as for the Western box office, we can only hope for the best. We know very well the old type (Chinese movie), which puts together many money-friendly factors, but this time it is a different story," Li says.

As eye-catching as the war scenes are, Chan strongly believes the film does not use violence for the sake of it. Rather, he says, the depiction of war's cruelty is different from the "violent aesthetics" of many other Chinese films.

"In many Chinese action films, fighting, even killing someone, must be in a beautiful, or so-called cool style. That is the really dangerous thing. War is cruel and violent. All the fight scenes serve the main theme - the horror of war. If the film does not show the horrors of war, how can I expect my viewers to detest war?"

Li says he accepted the role of Pang Qingyun because the film is not about action but is anti-war.

"What I want to tell the audience is holding a broadsword is dangerous, not beautiful."

Chan and Li agree that it is the war that pushes the characters' fates. Li's "elder brother" character betrays his two close friends; the wife of Lau's character betrays him; while Kaneshiro's role experiences a dramatic twist in the understanding of brotherly love, at the end. Chan, however, insists these are not bad men, because the environment plays a role in their choices. Although the story is fictional, he says, their characters unravel as they would in real circumstances.

The middle and late 19th century was a time when the world was experiencing great changes. The German empire was established, there was the American Civil War (1861-65); Japan was to enjoy the fruits of the Meiji Restoration; while China was yet to recover after two disastrous Opium Wars. The Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) was collapsing, while a new system had not arrived. In such times, Chan suggests, old moral standards faced a severe test.

"There are no bad people in my stories, only bad events," he says.

本帖最近評分記錄
阿管   2007-12-12 18:33  武氣  +10   Thank You for Sharing!

頂部
ninjakitten1
金牌會員

UID 983
精華 6
積分 1171
帖子 230
閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-12 16:14  資料 短消息 
http://www.star-ecentral.com/new ... 6413&sec=movies
(Malaysia) Wednesday December 12, 2007

Rising to the occasion

TAKESHI Kaneshiro grew a real beard for the first time during the filming of The Warlords.  

“Director Chan requested that I try not shaving for a few days, and see how my facial hair would turn out. He was satisfied with the results and I was glad to sport a real beard too, for it meant not having to spend hours in the makeup chair, unlike the others.”

It took Chan almost two months to convince the Taiwanese-Japanese actor to come aboard his latest production. Why did Kaneshiro take so long to consider accepting the role of third brother Jiang Wu Yang?  

“I learnt from director Chan that he wanted to make a movie along the vein of director Chang Cheh’s Ci Ma. So, I watched it and asked him which aspect of the film he wanted to highlight.

“At that time, he came to me with his scripts and storyboards, but he hadn’t decided on the other actors, or which part he wanted me to play. He had done a lot of research and his material was very comprehensive, with a very intense storyline, realistic battle scenes and a cast of thousands.  

“I felt that this particular production was already such a huge challenge to a director like Peter, so I wasn’t confident that I could deliver. I was indeed happy that he approached me to work with him. But, at the same time, as a good friend, I didn’t want to disappoint him. And the long stretch I had to spend filming in China meant I’d probably be very homesick.  

“I liked the realism portrayed in this movie. And, those Qing dynasty costumes were new to me. I’d only seen them in movies and never actually put them on before. I asked Jet Li and he replied that he too was wearing them for the first time.”  

Kaneshiro felt that portraying any character in the movie was a challenge in itself.  

“Mine was in having to choose or perhaps switch loyalties between a sworn brother I’ve known for a long time and another whom I met not too long ago.”  

To him, every scene was deeply moving and painful to film. “Since I was not involved in the love affair (involving Zhao, Pang and Lian), I thought it wouldn’t be as complex for me. However, I found it all so painful and emotional that I ended up crying like the others.”  

Kaneshiro's schedule is packed with several movies in various stages of production. He has just completed for John Woo’s Chi Bi (Red Cliff) (2008), in which he plays Zhuge Liang, the legendary Chinese military strategist and advisor to warlord Liu Bei.  

He also plays Chiba, a music-loving shinigami (Death God, in Japanese) in Japanese movie Sweet Rain (2008) adapted from Isaka Kotaro’s novel titled Shinigami no Seido (Accuracy of Death).

He will start filming another Japanese movie for which the title has not been confirmed. Chan has also cast him as the male lead in his other production Waiting (2009), adapted from a novel of the same name.

[ 本帖最後由 ninjakitten1 於 2007-12-12 16:15 編輯 ]

頂部
ninjakitten1
金牌會員

UID 983
精華 6
積分 1171
帖子 230
閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-12 16:18  資料 短消息 
Same source at post #2; Tuesday December 11, 2007

War epic

Director Peter Chan Ho Sun talks about his foray into his first-ever war movie.

Stories by SETO KIT YAN  

SEASONED international director Peter Chan Ho Sun insists The Warlords is not a wu xia pian (martial arts movie), but a tale of brotherhood and betrayal.  

The historical war epic revolves around three men who swear an oath of brotherhood in blood and a woman who is the catalyst behind the unravelling of their friendship. The three lead characters in the US$40mil (RM134mil) production are played by Jet Li (as General Pang Qing Yun), Andy Lau (Zhao Er Hu) and Takeshi Kaneshiro (Jiang Wu Yang).

“I think all the ying xiong pian (heroic films) are very romanticised versions, like A Better Tomorrow. But the truth is that it is really an antithesis of that. Because it is about friendship and brotherhood; it’s what all of us wanting to be, but cannot.  

In the forefront: From left, Andy Lau, Jet Li and Takeshi Kaneshiro in a scene where they take the oath of brotherhood in The Warlords.
“In reality, friendship, especially in situations like our film, usually corrupts and ends up in betrayal.”

Chan says the scripting for The Warlords had begun four years ago, although the movie itself took two years to make.  

He was already working on the story even as he was making his critically-acclaimed romantic musical Perhaps Love (2005).  

“After making so many movies about love and romance, I looked forward to making an action movie for a change.”

The movie has an anti-war message that the director wanted to convey in the battle scenes. He wanted them to be realistic, hence he dispensed with the fancy wire-acts so often seen in Chinese action movies.  

“This movie has two pivotal battle scenes. The first one is the big battle which is a 13- to 14-minute sequence. I had people on foot engaging in close combat, as opposed to most Chinese period films which have people flying around the place. People were doing things that were humanly possible for a change.  

“The film was taking that approach to reflect the grim reality and cruelty of war. It’s a bit like what Saving Private Ryan was trying to achieve with modern warfare.  

“Here, we’re doing it with daggers, swords and axes, which is even more cruel. You have to stab the guy and look him in the eye, and probably not be able to sleep well after that. Unlike now, where you can kill someone with the pull of a trigger and they might not even see you.  

“The second battle had the soldiers all in trenches, very much like All Quiet on the Western Front. It is all about the integrity ripped away from the soldiers. There’s no fighting, and they’re all just waiting to die. Everybody is just in a state of mental anguish and despair.  

“That is my favourite part in the film because it is when everything unravels. The brothers turn against each other. The wife, Lian (played by Xu Jinglei) comes to the battleground to see Pang, but Zhao thinks she’s there to see him.  

“And, Pang has gone off to make, probably, the worst deal in his life with his arch-nemesis. And, Zhao climbs over the fortress wall to negotiate with the opposing forces. So, that is actually the climax of the movie.”

Chan was inspired by Ci Ma (The Blood Brothers) (1973) directed by the late Chang Cheh, of One-Armed Swordsman fame.

Chinese action hero Li perfectly fleshes out the lead character, General Pang.  

“Jet agreed to come aboard after reading the script. He is a man who has been through a lot in life and he is a very experienced actor. Therefore, in playing this complicated character, he knows about the man’s internal complexities more than anyone else.”  

Hong Kong star Lau portrays bandit leader Zhao Er Hu.  

“I was watching TV at home with Andy one day and we were discussing director Chang Cheh’s movies. Both of us agreed said that our favourite production of his was Ci Ma. Andy said he actually modelled his character after Samo Hung, except he’s not as big all round or as loud.”

Taiwanese-Japanese heartthrob Takeshi Kaneshiro plays the charismatic outlaw Jiang.  

“Although he plays a cold-blooded killer, Takeshi projects the innocence it takes. It took me almost two months to persuade him to accept the role and work with two major stars.”

頂部
ninjakitten1
金牌會員

UID 983
精華 6
積分 1171
帖子 230
閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-12 16:46  資料 短消息 
AP Interview: Peter Chan says 'Warlords' grounded, realistic Chinese epic
The Associated Press; [img](http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2 ... -Chinese-Epics.php)[/img]
Published: December 12, 2007

HONG KONG: Hong Kong director Peter Chan, known for his subtle, sensitive love stories, hopes to give Chinese epics a makeover with "The Warlords," a gritty film about three 19th century mercenaries, being released across Asia on Thursday.

Historical epics are the black sheep of Chinese cinema. Although top Chinese directors have had box office success with the genre, critics say they lack artistic value.

One of the major Chinese films of the year, "The Warlords" — starring Jet Li, Andy Lau and Japanese-Taiwanese actor Takeshi Kaneshiro — is about the breakdown in friendship between three mercenaries during civil unrest in 19th century China.

Chan said in an interview with The Associated Press late Tuesday that the US$40 million (?27.3 million) production, a remake of a 1973 Chinese film, is different from previous epics like Zhang Yimou's "Curse of the Golden Flower" (2006) or Chen Kaige's "The Promise" (2005) because there are no glittering gold costumes, no gravity-defying kung fu fights — just the gritty, cruel reality of warfare.

"It's not romanticized. The characters don't fly around. It doesn't sugarcoat human nature. It just gives you raw and blunt reality," Chan said.

The 45-year-old director said he has a more grounded approach to Chinese epics.

"I did not set out to make a big movie," he said. "I set out to make a movie that is about something."

Indeed, Chan does not hesitate to show the brutality of warfare.

Li's character, Ma, is a pragmatist who advocates joining the imperial government so his soldiers have better resources. He slaughters hundreds of defeated enemies to conserve food supplies, to the outrage of Lau's character, Cao Erhu.

Still, Chan gives Ma a softer side by having him fall in love with Cao's beautiful wife.

Although the director successfully tackles the complexities of human nature — Li delivers a surprising performance as the ruthless, yet emotional Ma — the nuances are overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the two-hour film.

Chan said he had to lobby investors to keep key details in the film. He said Chinese investors frowned on the ragged clothes the mercenaries wore, while American investors wanted flying kung fu scenes.

In the end, the director said he prevailed — even clearing a largely unchanged edit with Chinese censors. China doesn't have a ratings system, and all films must be appropriate for all ages.

Chan said creative interference was inevitable considering the film's large budget — and hence large financial risk for investors.

The US$40 million (?27.3 million) budget is considered huge by Chinese standards. Only a major hit in China makes tens of millions of U.S. dollars (euros), in contrast to the hundreds of millions a Hollywood film can rake in domestically.

"The Warlords" has been sold throughout Asia, but Chan said he is still negotiating deals in the U.S. and Europe.

Chan has made a name for himself as a director of romantic movies. He made "Comrades, Almost a Love Story" (1996) about the relationship between two mainland Chinese immigrants living in Hong Kong, and the 1999 Hollywood film "The Love Letter," about a woman's quest to find the author of a mysterious love letter.

He said he decided to make "The Warlords" because he felt too confident making love stories.

"You're forced to become more creative when you're a little insecure, when you're tackling something you've never done before and you don't know how to do it," Chan said.

Chan said he hasn't decided on his next movie. He said he has bought the movie rights to Ha Jin's English-language novel "Waiting" — about a Chinese army doctor seeking to end an arranged marriage — but doesn't plan to make the film in the next few years.

頂部
sara
論壇元老

UID 38
精華 17
積分 8990
帖子 2772
閱讀權限 90
註冊 2006-10-8
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-12 17:43  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
原帖由 ninjakitten1 於 2007-12-12 16:46 發表
AP Interview: Peter Chan says 'Warlords' grounded, realistic Chinese epic
Chan said he hasn't decided on his next movie. He said he has bought the movie rights to Ha Jin's English-language novel "Waiting" — about a Chinese army doctor seeking to end an arranged marriage — but doesn't plan to make the film in the next few years.

thanks ninijakitten1

dosen't plan to make the film in the next few years though he has bought the movie right?
why? because Takeshi is not available  
Takeshi next year project is Onimusha
頂部
ninjakitten1
金牌會員

UID 983
精華 6
積分 1171
帖子 230
閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-13 18:17  資料 短消息 

QUOTE:
dosen't plan to make the film in the next few years though he has bought the movie right?
why? because Takeshi is not available

Hi, Sara,

Good question!

I know that there is a lot of news about "Waiting", but I don't think the movie will be made any time soon. When newspapers print "Waiting (2009)", for example, I just don't believe it.

See, the movie rights to the book were sold many years ago.

The book "Waiting" was and is a HUGE critical and literary hit in the U.S., so the film rights were probably sold in 2000 or so (or in 1999).

Peter Chan was in touch with the writer (when he got the film rights, I assume) of the book many years ago. And he bought the movie rights, probably not with Takeshi or anyone in mind.

I don't know where the newspapers are getting their news from--when it comes to "Waiting." That movie is not even in the pre-production stage, from what I know. I could be wrong, of course.

Sorry...I gave you a looooooooong answer. I hope I didn't make you fall asleep.

---
If Takeshi is making Onimusha, then there will be another action figure for us to buy .

[ 本帖最後由 ninjakitten1 於 2007-12-13 18:19 編輯 ]

頂部
ninjakitten1
金牌會員

UID 983
精華 6
積分 1171
帖子 230
閱讀權限 70
註冊 2007-11-4
狀態 離線
發表於 2007-12-13 18:31  資料 短消息 
(This is a really great interview/article. Hopefully there is a translated version for Chinese fans...)

Brothers in blood
A Hong Kong director chooses a Bangkok venue to debut his epic war drama

Thai-Hong Kong director Peter Chan is well aware that Hong Kong movies no longer pull Thai audiences the same way they did 20 years ago but that didn't stop him from deciding to launch his latest film in Bangkok.

And he did succeed in drawing the crowds to Sunday's premiere by bringing with him the three Asian superstars who play the leading men in the war drama "The Warlords". After all, what self-respecting movie fan in Thailand could resist catching Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro in the flesh?

"It's for my Thai side," says the 45-year-old director in clear, accented Thai. "Since the Hong Kong filmmaking scene is in hiatus, I'm trying my best to boost the industry as well as bringing my good wishes to Thailand."

Chan grew up in Thailand before heading off to study in the US. He started his film career in Hong Kong while his parents were still living in Bangkok.

At the SFW Cinema in CentralWorld fans waited patiently, screaming and applauding wildly when the trio of stars finally made their entrance.

"The Warlords", Hong Kong's most expensive production to date at US$40 million (Bt1.35 billion), also marks a change in genre for Chan, who is better know for slow-moving romantic dramas.

But audiences shouldn't expect a no-holds-barred action flick. Under Chan's direction, this take on China's Taiping Rebellion, the mid-19th-century civil conflict that killed more than 70 million people in 13 years, is a realistic war film, with no slings, no wires and no flying. Even action hero Jet Li has a more dramatic role and while he still fights, it's as a warrior not as a Wushu champion.

The director, who prefers romantic and gangster films to action movies, says he picked the project because the story interested him.

"I had intended to revive a gangster film from the '80s, maybe John Woo's 'A Better Tomorrow'. In that too, there are strong themes of brotherhood and comradeship but there is also betrayal just like in this movie," he points out.

For "The Warlords", Chen switches from the usual colourful Chinese costumes to dark tones that reflect the sombre backdrop of wrecked villages in the middle of the 14-year war. "It's like Afghanistan today," he says.

"Nobody can fly in this film. That challenged my action director Ching Siu-Tung," says the director, who is trying to offer viewers an alternative style of Chinese period/action drama.

"When Westerners watch Asian films, they don't think of us as ordinary humans but as exotic beings, which I personally find insulting.
Chinese period films have been like fantasy worlds. They may be beautiful but they shouldn't be thought of as our history. We look at western period dramas and we get an idea of the past. What they see in old Chinese films is just fantasy," says the director.

The film tells the story of three sworn brothers - imperial Chinese general Ma Xing Yi (Jet Li), bandit leader Zhao Er-hu (Andy Lau) and young outlaw Zhang Wenxiang (Takeshi Kaneshiro) - during the chilling battle against the Taiping Rebellion. They turn against each other over a woman.

All three protagonists are splendid in their roles. Kaneshiro proves again his dramatic mettle as the youngest of the trio, observing the changes in his elders, while Li is brilliant as the pragmatic general and fallen hero.

Li accepted the role 15 minutes into reading the script, very unusual for a superstar of his calibre.

"It's a very interesting story, one that speaks volumes about the worthiness of peace through the brutality of war. Most films only show violence," says the martial arts star, on his first official visit to Thailand since 1977.

"Besides it's been a long time since I had the chance to play such a multi-layered character. I usually play men that are much more black and white in nature.

Chan decided to use Kaneshiro again after working with him on "perhaps Love", even though his staff tried to convince him to use young Chinese heartthrob Jay Chou.

"Chou was right age-wise, but Takeshi, though he's now 30, can make audiences cry as the youngest brother," he says.

For his part, Kaneshiro called the film "a valuable learning experience".

Chan adds that "The Warlords" took on a life of its own when they started shooting. He found himself editing the script as they went along, happy to give the actors room to shape their characters' lives and make changes as necessary.

But he admits making a big budget film put him under a lot of pressure. Although fully conversant with the movie business as the owner of Applause Pictures, Chan still had to put together a complicated deal to get financing for his film.

"The bigger the film, the more politics you have to confront. I wasn't tired from filmmaking but I was ground down from dealing with the producers," he says.

"Big markets like China prefer big-budget movies. Martial arts or action films are easier to get pass the censors," says the director.

"Making 'The Warlords' with three major stars is the only way I can attract audiences, I accept that. But at the same time, I'm pleased with the content. It's a good story, presented with emotion and drama."

"The Warlords" goes on general release today.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007 ... estyle_30058925.php (BANGKOK)
Published on December 13, 2007

頂部

當前時區 GMT+8, 現在時間是 2024-5-10 18:39

本论坛支付平台由支付宝提供
携手打造安全诚信的交易社区 Powered by Discuz! 5.0.0  © 2001-2006 Comsenz Inc.
Processed in 0.034006 second(s), 8 queries

清除 Cookies - 聯繫我們 - 金城武.NET - Archiver - WAP